As a commercial motor vehicle carrier in Wyoming, you’ll drive across the majestic countryside that our ancestors once traveled on horseback or in wagon trains.  No doubt, you will enjoy a great sense of adventure as you travel this route. But, unlike our ancestors, you need several permits before you can operate a commercial motor vehicle on Wyoming highways. One of the permits you’ll need is an IRP apportioned plate.  

What is IRP for trucking?  IRP, meaning International Registration Plan, is an agreement that allows for apportioned fees that are based on the number of miles you accrue in member jurisdictions.  If Wyoming is your base state and you travel across state lines, you must register with the IRP. Let’s take a look at some of the information you’ll need to provide to the IRP office.

Wyoming IRP Registration

Applying for an IRP plate involves several steps.  First, you should determine whether you need a USDOT number. The FMCSA uses this number to track motor carrier safety compliance. Next, you need to register with the IFTA for paying quarterly fuel use taxes.  

Some of the IRP registration forms you’ll need to complete:

  • For new accounts: Schedule A/E and Schedule B
  • Schedule C: for changes to an existing account
  • Schedule B:  for adding jurisdictions

They may require other forms.  Check the Wyoming Department of Transportation website for a breakdown of how to get apportioned plates.

You’ll also be required to prove that you operate a qualified commercial motor vehicle.  A qualified motor vehicle is one that is designed, maintained, and used for transporting person or property across state lines.  The power unit must have two axles with a GVW that exceeds 26,000 pounds, or has 3 axles regardless of weight, or is used in combinations that exceed 26,000 pounds.  

The IRP office also requires proof that you have an established place of business in the state.  The business must be a physical structure with a street address and listed telephone number. You must maintain all operational records at this location. Also, the business must operate during regular business hours.

After your application has approval, you’ll receive one IRP plate and cab card for each vehicle in your fleet.

Renewing Your Wyoming IRP Plates

All IRP plates are valid for one year and the renewal application must be received at least 30 days before the expiration date of the current plate.  The IRP office will send a renewal package that includes all the information you’ll need for the renewal process.

Before applying for the renewal, you must be current with all IRP and IFTA fees or the application will be denied, and any delays can result in penalties or fees.  You certainly don’t want to be off the road while they clear this up.

How TruckingOffice Can Help

Between the IRP, IFTA, USDOT, and others, you’re going to have a hard time remembering all the deadlines and regulations.  Plus, keeping all the paperwork up-to-date is a massive chore. But, you no longer need to feel overwhelmed, because TruckingOffice has the solution.  We designed a program that will track all your invoices, dispatches, fuel use, vehicle maintenance, IFTA and IRP reporting, and much more.  

We’re here to make your job easier. Sign-up for our 30-day free trial and find out what thousands of other truckers are raving about.  Our system will help you save time, increase revenues, and get you back behind the wheel where you belong.  If you have any questions about our TruckingOffice program, contact us today. We will be happy to provide any information you need.