As a trucker in Nevada, you’ll enjoy many hours of driving along some of the most scenic highways in America.  Before you can get behind the wheel, you’ll need to obtain a few permits. Since Nevada is a member of the IRP, you’ll need to apply for an apportioned plate if you drive a qualifying motor vehicle outside of state lines.  

What is the IRP for trucking?  

The International Registration Plan is a cooperative agreement between the US, the District of Columbia, and some Canadian Provinces.  The plan was created to simplify the process of collecting and distributing registration fees among member jurisdictions.

Nevada IRP Registration

One of the advantages of the IRP is that vehicles need only be registered once with the base state.  The apportioned plate allows drivers to operate in any jurisdiction. Registration fees are paid to the IRP office in the base state and are distributed according to mileage accrued in each state.

Before applying for an IRP apportioned plate:

  1. You may need a USDOT number.  
  2. Any vehicle over 55,000 pounds must pay the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT).  
  3. Register with the IFTA where you will pay quarterly fuel use taxes.  
  4. Register with the UCR, if applicable.  
  5. Determine if your vehicle qualifies under the IRP guidelines.  

A qualifying vehicle is one that is used to transport persons or property, has two axles with a GVW of 26,000 pounds or more, or has three axles regardless of weight, or is used in combination with the weight of said combination exceeding 26,000 pounds.   

Other forms that may be required can be found here.

You also need to show that you have an established place of business in Nevada.  It must be a physical structure with a street address and should operate during regular business hours.  All operational records must be maintained at this address.

When your registration is approved, you’ll receive one IRP apportioned plate and one cab card for each vehicle in your fleet.  These items must remain with the vehicle at all times. The cab card lists information about the jurisdictions you are allowed to operate in, and also shows the renewal date.

Renewing Your Nevada IRP Plates

Your IRP Nevada plates must be renewed each year.  About 90 days before the due date, you’ll receive a renewal notification with all of the information you’ll need.  The IRP office must receive your renewal application at least 30 days before the due date.

Before applying for the renewal, make sure you are compliant with IFTA quarterly taxes, and IRP fees.  Late filing or payments can result in fines or penalties. You must also have records of all miles traveled in each jurisdiction for the year.

We’ve given you a lot of information here, but it’s just a small sample of all the things you’ll need to know and remember as a trucker.  If you’re worried about spending too many hours doing paperwork or missing an important due date, you should take a few minutes now and learn how TruckingOffice can help.

How TruckingOffice Can Make Your Job Easier

TruckingOffice is an innovative software program that was designed to make life easier for truckers.  We track your invoices, dispatches, fuel use, mileage, vehicle maintenance, IRP and IFTA reporting, and much more.  

The best way to find out how much you will benefit from our program is to give it a try now.  Sign up for our free 30-day trial.  You’ll see firsthand how we can help you save time and increase revenue.  If you have any questions, please contact us at our toll-free number. We look forward to helping you get organized and spend more time behind the wheel building your business.