As an independent motor carrier in Montana, you’re sure to enjoy traveling over towering mountains, or winding through the valleys and plains.  The state is proud of having some of the nation’s most scenic highways. But, before you can get started on your travels, several permits are required.  You may already be familiar with the terms IRP, USDOT, HVUT, but you still have some questions about how they apply to your operation. The following information should answer some of those questions for you.  

What is IRP for trucking?  

The IRP, meaning International Registration Plan, is a reciprocity agreement between the United States and Canada that allows qualified and registered truckers to travel among all 59 IRP jurisdictions.  Motor carriers pay the registration fees to their home base, and the fees are apportioned and distributed to the jurisdictions on your route.

To apply for a Montana IRP apportioned plate, you must show that you have paid the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT form 2290) and have obtained a USDOT number.  Several other forms are required, and a checklist for these forms can be found here.  

Before applying for the IRP plates, you will need to prove that you have an established place of business in Montana.  The business must be a physical structure with a street address that is open during regular business hours. Employees must be conducting tasks that are relevant to your trucking operation.  Also, all operational records must be maintained at the address.

To be approved for an IRP plate, you must travel in two or more jurisdictions with a qualifying motor vehicle.  The vehicle qualifications are as follows:

  1. The vehicle is designed, maintained, and used for transporting persons or property.  
  2. The power unit has 2 axles with a gross vehicle weight or registered weight of 26,000 pounds or more, or
  3. The power unit has 3 axles, regardless of weight, or
  4. Is used in combination with the combined gross vehicle weight exceeding 25,000 pounds or more.

When your application is approved, you’ll receive one IRP plate and cab card for each vehicle in your fleet.  These items must remain with the vehicles at all times.

Renewing Your Montana IRP Plates

IRP Montana registrations must be renewed annually.  You must be compliant with all IFTA quarterly taxes and IRP fees before your renewal can be accepted.  You’ll be notified by the IRP office approximately 90 days before the renewal due date. They will send all information you need for the renewal process. 

Keep in mind that the renewal application must be received by the IRP at least 30 days before the due date to avoid any delays that will result in fines or penalties.  Your renewal can be submitted by mail, in person to an IRP office, or online.

After looking over all the required forms and information you’ll need, it may seem a bit overwhelming. Like most truckers, you worry about missing a deadline or losing an important document.  Plus, you’d rather be out there driving instead of filling out forms. If so, you’ll be glad you found out about TruckingOffice.

How TruckingOffice Can Help

Our TruckingOffice software was designed with truckers like you in mind.  We want to make your job easier by taking care of all the forms and other paperwork involved in your business.  With our help, you’ll have more time to spend building your business and will have fewer headaches as well.

We track your invoices, mileage reports, dispatches, driver pay, expenses, vehicle maintenance, IFTA and IRP reporting, and more.  We knew you’d be curious, so we’re offering a 30-day free trial that will show firsthand how you will benefit from our services.  Sign up today and start saving time and money.