Intro (Trucking Delivery Statistics)
America’s highways are busy 24/7 with people going to work, traveling, shopping, seeking entertainment, and more. In the midst of all this traffic are thousands of LTL and FTL trucks delivering the products that keep our nation thriving. We see the trucks in the lane ahead of us, behind us, or lined up at a truck stop nearby. But most of us aren’t aware of the sheer magnitude of the trucking industry. Here are a few incredible facts to help you see the big picture:
- The overland freight market is worth more than $796.7 billion.
- More than 895,670 heavy or tractor-trailer drivers are employed in the US.
- Approximately 51,410 light or delivery service drivers are employed in the US.
- The trucking industry employs more than 5% (7.4 million) of all full-time workers in America.
- Truckers moved about 10.8 billion tons of freight last year.
- Truckers move more than 70% of all goods transported in the US.
- On average, long-haul truckers log more than 100,000 miles per year.