Free IFTA instructions and information to assist you in obtaining and maintaining your IFTA license.

IFTA –  International Fuel Tax Agreement is an agreement between jurisdictions in the U.S. and Canada to collect fuel use taxes.  IFTA jurisdictions include 48 states and 10 Canadian provinces.

How it works:

So basically when you buy fuel you pay a fuel tax at the pump.  The problem comes in when you buy fuel in one jurisdiction then drive into another jurisdiction.  The tax money is used to keep up the roads and hi-ways.  So if your truck travels through a jurisdiction and don’t buy any fuel there then they don’t get any tax revenue.  What IFTA does is take the total miles driven in each jurisdiction and applies the appropriate tax rate for that jurisdiction to those miles.  Then it takes the fuel gallons purchased in each jurisdiction and gives back a credit in some jurisdictions and gives you a balance due in others.  IFTA is designed to make sure that each jurisdiction that you operate your commercial vehicle in gets their share of the fuel use taxes.

Who needs to apply for an IFTA License?

You need an IFTA license if you

  • Operate your commercial vehicles in more than one jurisdiction
  • Have 2 axles and a GVW of more than 26,000 pounds
  • Have 3 or more axles regardless of weight

How to apply:

To apply for your IFTA license and get your IFTA stickers you must fill out an application from your home state/province.  Your IFTA stickers will come in the mail after your IFTA application has been processed.  While you are waiting for your IFTA stickers you can have a temporary IFTA license faxed to you that you can carry in your truck until they come.

Click here for more information.